Hi everyone!! Today I am over at Sewing With Boys with my Boy’s Treasure Tote-A-Long Pouch tutorial. In my tutorial I added zipper tabs to my zipper and I wanted to show you how I add zipper tabs to a metal zipper.
Make sure to head over to Sewing With Boys and get the full tutorial for the Boys Treasure Tote-A-Long Pouch HERE.
For this tutorial you will need 1 zipper and 1 piece of fabric 2×4 — fold fabric in 1/2 lengthwise and press, fold each edge into center and press, then press closed, cut zipper so your tab will butt up to the metal stops, I always use hem tape to hold my zippers in place, I cut it to size and fuse the fabric to zipper. After you have your tabs in place, stitch along the edge with a 1/8″ sa)
1. Fold fabric in 1/2 lengthwise and press.
2. Fold each edge into center and press.
3. Press Closed.
4. Cut in half so you have two tabs.
1. Cut zipper tape so your tab will butt up to the metal stops. (I have seen tutorials for plastic zippers that have you cover the stops, but I don’t like to sew over the metal so I just butt it up to the stops.)
2 & 3. I always use hem tape to hold my zippers in place, I cut it to size and fuse the fabric to zipper.
4. After you have your tabs in place, stitch along the edge with a 1/8″ seam allowance.
Some tutorials say to trim the tabs down, but I like to leave mine this length to help line things up.
There you have it handy dandy zipper tabs on your zipper.