The 4th of July is always full of places to go. I wanted a cute little wristlet to toss my essentials in when I hit the door for a day of fun. I have looked at a lot of cell phone wallet and bags but I couldn’t find anything that would fit my phone while it is in it’s case. I don’t want to take my phone out of the case, especially if we are going to be anywhere there might be water. I found this great fabric at Joann’s last weekend and knew I had to make a cute little wristlet for my stuff. Stay tuned after the tutorial for a great round up of 4th of July ideas.
- Cut 2 Outer Fabric (Stripes) – 6 1/2 x 5 1/2
- Cut 2 Outer Fabric (Stars) – 2 1/2 x 5 1/2
- Cut 2 Interfacing – 8 X 5 1/2
- Cut 2 Linings – 8 x 5 1/2
- Strap fabric – 3 x 10
- Strap Interfacing 3 x 10
- 7 inch zipper
2. Place 1 stripe outer fabric and 1 star outer fabric right sides together and stitch with a 1/2″ seam allowance. Press seams open and apply interfacing to each outer piece of fabric.
3. I only had a 9 inch zipper so mine was too long I will show you how to shorten a zipper.
4. Mark where you want your zipper to end and then measure down 3/4″, this is where you will put your new “stop” in. You just need to take a needle and thread and whipstitch around the whole zipper teeth section. Cut the zipper off right after your new stop
1. Lay your first outer piece right side up and then place your zipper right side down. Line up the edge of theS zipper tape and the edge of the outer piece.
2. Lay your first lining piece right side down on the zipper. Basically you are making a zipper sandwich. Pin everything together.
3. Using your zipper foot sew with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
4. Turn everything the right way, iron everything well and then topstitch. Repeat steps 1-4 on other outer and lining piece.
1. Grab your strap piece, iron on interfacing and then fold in half long ways, with right sides together.
2. Fold in each edge 1/4″ and iron again.
3. Topstitch each side of strap.
4 Pin strap on right side of outer front fabric about 1/2″ from zipper with the unfinished edges of strap overhanging the edge about a 1/4″.
1. Open up pouch where your 2 outer fabric are right sides together and your 2 lining fabrics are right sides together. Pin around the whole wristlet leaving a 3″ gap in the bottom of the lining.
2. Sew around the whole wristlet, except in your lining opening, using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Clip all corners and any extra zipper or handle fabric.
3. Turn bag right side out through the whole you left in your lining. Take care to push all your corners out well, using a point turner (or in my case a chopstick I appropriated from a Chinese restaurant.). Pin tPush ogether your whole in lining fabric and stitch along bottom of lining to close whole.
4. Push lining fabric into bag and iron your wristlet well.
If you want some more awesome 4th of July projects and recipes check out some of these other great bloggers.
- Toddler T-shirt by bluebird & the boy
- Boy’s 4th of July Shirt by bluebird & the boy
- Grilled Berry Cobbler by Get Your Crap Together
- 4th of July Hot Pads by Get Your Crap Together
- 4th of July Cake in A Jar by Get Your Crap Together